Strong frosts are expected in Madrid, Castilla-La Mancha, eastern Castilla y León and mountain areas, according to Aemet.
The drop in temperatures associated with this week’s cold wave will place today, Tuesday, Castilla-La Mancha and Castilla y León in red notice (extreme risk), Madrid and Aragon in orange (significant risk) and Andalusia, Cantabria, Catalonia, Extremadura, Galicia, Navarra, Murcia, La Rioja and the Valencian Community in yellow (light risk).
The forecasts of the State Meteorological Agency (Aemet) announce strong frosts in Madrid, Castilla-La Mancha, east of Castilla y León and mountain areas, with temperatures that will fall locally below -10ºC, while in points to the east of the southern plateau it may even be lower than -12ºC.
Still, the temperatures maximum will rise in the northern half of the peninsula and the northeast of Castilla-La Mancha and, the minimum, in the surroundings of the Pyrenees and the Ebro valley, with the possibility of freezing fog in Castilian-Leon areas and in the Tagus valley.
In addition, Castilla y León has a yellow alert for fog and Catalonia, due to coastal phenomena, while the skies covered with some light rains will extend both in the Basque Country and Navarra as well as in Melilla and the Canary archipelago.
The west component wind will blow on the eastern Cantabrian coast and the north component on the eastern peninsula, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands, with strong intervals at the mouth of the Ebro.
Forecast by autonomous communities:
– GALICIA: generally clear sky, even with intervals of low clouds in the extreme north, and decreasing minimum temperatures, except in Orense and the southeast of Lugo, where they will rise; there is a warning of generalized weak frosts in the interior, locally more intense in the eastern half, and variable light wind.
– ASTURIAS: some intervals of high clouds, with minimum temperatures without changes or in slight decrease, except in the highest areas of the mountain range, where they will rise, and also rising maximums, more pronounced in the mountain range; generalized frosts in the interior, more intense in the high areas, and light wind with a predominance of the western component on the coast and the southern component in the interior.
– CANTABRIA: cloudy intervals, which will decrease in the southwest but will increase along the coast, with mist and fog banks; the minimum temperatures tend to drop and the maximum to rise, although with forecast of frosts in the interior; Variable loose wind with a tendency to west and southwest components on the coast, where it will get worse in the afternoon.
– BASQUE COUNTRY: overcast sky in which light and scattered rains are not ruled out on the eastern coast, more likely at the end of the day, with mist and some fog bank in the interior; the thermometer will tend to rise slightly, even with light frosts in inland areas and variable light winds with a tendency to west and northwest components, especially on the coast.
– CASTILLA Y LEÓN: cloudy in the northeast of the autonomous community, although it will tend to clear throughout the day, without ruling out low clouds with mist and freezing fog banks on the plateau; generalized and locally strong frosts due to the minimum temperatures in decline, although the maximum will rise.
– NAVARRA: covered skies with possible weak and scattered rainfall in the extreme north and the Pyrenees, with the snow level between 600 and 800 meters although it will rise to 1,000 or 1,200 meters; weak frosts in the northern half and rising temperatures, albeit light; light wind with more intense intervals in the Ribera del Ebro and the Pyrenees.
– LA RIOJA: the morning clouds will decrease as the afternoon passes, with minimum temperatures unchanged and maximum temperatures rising, as well as frosts that in La Ribera will be weak and scattered; North component wind in the mountains and northwest in the valley.
– ARAGÓN: generally clear sky, although intervals of low clouds, mist and morning fog banks are expected in the Ebro depression, while in the Pyrenees the cloudiness will increase in the afternoon; temperatures with few changes or slightly rising and generalized frosts, which will be strong in the Pyrenees and the Iberian Peninsula, as well as moderate northwesterly winds in the Ebro valley.
– CATALONIA: intervals of low clouds, mist and fog banks in the interior and little cloudy in the rest, although in the Pyrenees it will tend to be covered in the afternoon; thermometers will rise slightly in the eastern half and the northern third, while frosts will be widespread in the interior of the region, especially in the Pyrenees; moderate northwesterly wind in the Ampurdán and in the south of Tarragona.
– EXTREMADURA: blue sky in general, without ruling out some isolated morning fog bank and with minimum temperatures falling and maximum temperatures slightly rising; widespread frosts throughout the autonomous community.
– COMMUNITY OF MADRID: few clouds except for a more likely morning interval in the southern valleys, with the presence of morning mists and fogs in mountainous areas and areas of the Tagus valley; temperatures tend to drop slightly except in the mountains and frosts, widespread, will be more intense in the southeast and in the highlands.
– CASTILLA-LA MANCHA: clear sky, except for some intervals of low clouds in the northeast at the beginning of the day, without ruling out morning mists and fog banks in the Tajo valley and the south of Albacete; the minimum temperatures drop above all in La Mancha and the maximum temperatures rise especially in Cuenca and Guadalajara. Variable wind in the western end.
– VALENCIAN COMMUNITY: little cloudy or clear, with thermometers that will remain without major changes and frosts that will be generalized in the interior and weak in points of the coast; the wind will go from light to moderate from west and northwest components.
– MURCIA: blue sky and decreasing minimum temperatures, with widespread frosts in the interior and strong in the northwest; the wind will be from the northwest direction, although it will turn to the southwest on the coast.
– BALEARIC ISLANDS: predominance of clear skies, with falling night temperatures and some weak frost, while daytime temperatures will tend to rise slightly; northwesterly wind.
– ANDALUSIA: some cloudy intervals in the early morning on the Mediterranean coast, although in general it will be clear; generalized frosts in the interior, which will be locally strong in high areas, due to the drop in minimum temperatures; west wind on the Mediterranean coast and northeast wind in the western third.
– CANARY ISLANDS: cloudy with rains that will be weak in the north and east of the islands with greater relief and, during the afternoon, may be locally moderate in the southwest of Gran Canaria and Tenerife; the thermometer will not register great changes and the moderate wind will blow from the northeast.